These vegan stuffed shells are the epitome of quick and easy comfort food! Filled with creamy ricotta cheese, no one will know these are vegan!
Italian food has to be one of my favorite cuisines and give me anything pasta and I’ll be a huge fan.
Stuffed shells filled with spinach and ricotta cheese were one of my favorite dishes when I was vegetarian so making a vegan-friendly option was on my agenda. By replacing the original recipe with homemade ricotta cheese makes it an almost seamless and just as delicious alternative.
What I love about my vegan stuffed shells recipe is that the ricotta is made WITHOUT cashews or nuts, so it won’t leave you feeling heavy.
How do you make vegetarian stuffed shells?
Stuffed shells are one of the easiest and quick dinners to make. All you do is fill jumbo pasta shells with vegan ricotta, baby spinach, and top it with shredded vegan cheese. It’s then placed in a baking dish filled with marinara sauce, then baked until the cheese has melted.
Expert tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overcook the pasta as we want them to be sturdy enough to hold the filling.
- Use a piping bag to distribute the ricotta cheese filling amongst the pasta shells, to ease the stuffing process!
- Blend the spinach with the ricotta before stuffing the shells.
What to serve vegan stuffed shells with
- Salad– Cobb salad, vegan chicken salad, or even some smashed chickpea and avocado salad.
- Vegetables– Potato wedges, zucchini, eggplant, and carrots.
- Bread– Flatbread, garlic bread, or add a fusion twist with some naan.
Can you make ahead stuffed shells?
Prepare this dish up to 3 days in advance. When ready to cook, remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to bringing it to room temperature.
Can you freeze vegan stuffed shells?
Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat them in the microwave in 30-second spurts until warm.
Tools to make this recipe
- Baking dish– My favorite baking dish.
- Jumbo stuffed shells– Large jumbo shells to ensure there is plenty of room to stuff with fillings!
- Food processor– For the perfectly smooth ricotta.
Vegan Stuffed Shells
- 12 oz jumbo pasta shells
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups vegan ricotta cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook your pasta as per the box until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the marinara sauce into the base of the baking dish. In a blender, combine your vegan ricotta cheese with baby spinach until smooth.
- Place your cooked pasta shells into the baking dish. Fill each one with the ricotta filling, before drizzling the remaining marinara sauce on top.
- Bake the stuffed shells for 10-15 minutes, until hot. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and serve immediately.