These air fried carrots are crispy on the outside, yet soft and sweet on the inside! Made without excess oil or butter, these carrot fries will be your new favorite vegetable dish!
Air Fried Carrots
As much as I love potatoes, I know they can’t be the only vegetable source in my diet. As such, I’ve been making a valiant effort to consume more vegetables.
I’m the kind of person who often eats salads or steamed vegetables, but more out of necessity than for enjoyment. Recently though, I’ve been going through quite the air fryer phase. I’ve been adding anything and everything to it and have found it can truly transform even the blandest of foods into something quite special.
These air fried carrots are the best example. Carrots on their own are delicious and wholesome but once you air fry them, they become crispy, sweet, salty, and taste just like fries! Carrot fries have become my new go-to vegetable dish and I’ve been eating them like it’s going out of style!
Made with just 3 main ingredients, the carrot fries are crispy and crunchy on the outside, yet soft on the inside. They are even sweeter air fried, and the smoky salty seasonings take it up a notch!
Not only are these carrot fries completely vegan and gluten free, but they work well for a whole30 or paleo diet!
How do you make air fryer carrot fries?
- Carrots– Chopped into the same shape and size as French fries.
- Olive oil– To coat the carrots in and gives it a lovely crispy and crunchy exterior.
- Smoked paprika– Adds a smokey, slightly spicy, and slightly sweet flavor.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. Do not go overboard with the salt,
In a mixing bowl, add your carrot sticks and olive oil, and using your hands, mix together. Next, add the paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix once again.
Now, transfer the seasoned carrots into the air fryer basket and cook at 200C/400F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the carrot fries from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best carrot fries
- Air fryer baskets come in various shapes and sizes. If you own a smaller one, you may need to cook these in two batches. Overfilling an air fryer will result in less than crispy fries.
- If you don’t own an air fryer, you can easily bake these in the oven. Place them in a preheated oven and bake at 200C/400F for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Do not omit the oil, as it ensures a crispy and crunchy exterior. If you want to reduce the oil, be sure to spray the air fryer basket or baking sheet.
While these fries taste delicious on their own, here are some flavor options for some fun variety!
- Cajun– Replace the smoked paprika with a Cajun spice mix, and omit the salt completely.
- Curry– Add 1 tablespoon curry powder.
- Hot and spicy– Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Sweet and salty– Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Nachos cheese– Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast once the fries have been cooked.
Storing and freezing carrot fries
- To store: Carrot fried can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover fries in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either place the fries in a preheated oven or back in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
More vegan appetizer recipes to try
Air Fried Carrots (Carrot Fries!)
- 3 large carrots chopped into fries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add your carrots and olive oil and use your hands to mix together. Add the spices and mix until coated.
- Transfer the carrot fries into greased air fryer basket. Cook at 200C/400F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the fries from the air fryer and serve immediately.