This smashed chickpea salad is a combination of chickpeas, avocado, and hummus, all mixed together for the perfect sandwich filling! Simple ingredients and packed with plant-based protein!
Smashed chickpea salad
Over the past few months, I’ve made it a point to stop buying my lunch. It’s a bad habit I picked up during my university days, that continued on into adulthood and my working life. I somehow told myself that buying lunch every day was cheaper than making my own at home, and I’d save a bunch of time. After going through my finances and comparing it to a weekly grocery bill, I was clearly very wrong.
My usual lunchtime order would be a sandwich of some sort, and I alternated between a few fillings. My favorite was a chickpea and avocado salad, which not only tasted delicious but was incredibly healthy too. At first, I was intimidated to try it out myself, but the idea of saving hundreds of dollars a year was my motivation to give it a go. However, after trying it out, it soon became my go-to sandwich filling!
I’ve been meaning to share a smashed chickpea salad recipe for quite some time. It’s the kind of salad that sticks to your ribs and keeps you full and satisfied. My favorite way to enjoy it is stuffed between bread and made into a sandwich, but it’s fantastic on its own. The texture is thick, creamy, and with chunky pieces throughout. It’s salty and slightly tangy, without being overpowering.
As someone who loves a hearty and filling lunch, making these into sandwiches has been such a savior, and I love the extra protein I get from it too! Oh, and my wallet has been LOVING the savings too.
How do you make a smashed chickpea sandwich?
- Chickpeas– We used canned chickpeas but you can use freshly made ones too.
- Avocado– Overripe avocadoes, for the best texture.
- Hummus– Adds extra creaminess and a boost of protein.
- Lemon juice– Balances the salty flavors.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Garlic and onion powder– Optional, but gives some subtle flavor, without being overpowering.
Start by adding your chickpeas into a mixing bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the chickpeas until chunky. Next, add the avocado and mash that into the mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
Now, spread the mixture between two slices of bread, along with some lettuce and other fresh vegetables, and enjoy immediately.
Tips to make the best chickpea avocado salad
- If you’d like to prepare the salad in advance, keep the avocado separate. Add it in just before serving. You can prepare it up to 3 days in advance.
- For a smoother filling, you can remove the skins from the chickpeas prior to mashing them.
- For some added crunch, feel free to add some chopped celery, cucumber, or walnuts.
Storing and freezing smashed chickpea salad
- To store: Leftover chickpea salad can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. Any longer and the avocado will start to brown.
- To freeze: Place the salad in a sealable container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw the salad overnight in the refrigerator, and mix well before serving.
Smashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 large avocado mashed
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder optional
- Drain your chickpeas and place them in a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the chickpeas until mostly smooth.
- Add the mashed avocado and the rest of the ingredients and mix well, until smooth.
- Use a sandwich filling or serve with crackers.