This vegan chicken salad is the PERFECT combo of chicken, creamy mayonnaise, and crunchy celery, you won’t miss the meat or dairy! Ready in minutes and fantastic to feed a crowd!
Vegan Chicken Salad
During my college days, I’d attend a bunch of barbeques that my college would throw. Being a poor student, I never turned down the chance for a free meal. While they always have their usual bbq fare, they also had salads. While they had the boring green and garden salads, they also had, what would become my new favorite food, a chicken salad.
Now, calling it a salad is quite a stretch as it didn’t look or taste like what others would assume a salad to be. It was full of chicken, fruit, and crisp vegetables, all covered in a creamy dressing. I soon became obsessed with this salad and started making it for myself. When I transitioned into a vegan diet, it became one of the very first things I gave a plant based makeover!
I’ve been meaning to share a vegan chicken salad for quite some time. It was my favorite salad before I went vegan and I love it even more now! It’s perfect on its own, with a side of crackers, or made into a chicken salad sandwich. No fancy ingredients or prep time is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture dressing is creamy and the salad ingredients are crispy and crunchy. It’s savory with hints of sweetness from the grapes, without being overpowering!
I had some friends over for lunch the other day and NO ONE believed me when I told them that the salad was completely plant based- They thought it tasted just as good, if not better than one made with actual chicken!
How do you make a vegan chicken salad?
- Vegan chicken– I like to use Quorn vegan fillets, but any vegan chicken can be used.
- Red grapes– Adds sweetness to balance out all the salty and savory flavors.
- Celery– Gives some added crunch and color.
- Vegan mayonnaise– Any vegan mayo can be used.
- Dairy free yogurt– Optional, but lightens up the salad without affecting the creaminess of it. I’ve used unsweetened coconut yogurt.
- Green onions– Adds color and added flavor.
- Sliced almonds– Adds a subtle nutty flavor that works well with the mayonnaise and chicken.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
Start by adding your chopped chicken, grapes, and celery into a large mixing bowl. Next, add the mayonnaise and yogurt and mix well, until combined. Add the green onions, sliced almonds, and salt and pepper, and mix once more.
Tips to make the best vegan chicken salad
- You can prepare this salad up to 2 days in advance, however, do not add in the sliced almonds until just before serving. This ensures that they remain crunchy throughout.
- Please use a good quality vegan chicken that
- While this salad tastes fantastic on its own, feel free to change up the mix-ins. Walnuts and dried cranberries are both fantastic additions.
Storing and freezing the vegetarian chicken salad
- To store: This salad must be stored in the refrigerator at all times, completely covered. It will keep well for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place the salad in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and mix well, before enjoying.
Vegan chicken salad
- 2 vegan chicken fillets cooked and chopped
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise * See notes
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup almonds flaked
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your chopped chicken, grapes, and celery, and mix well.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Serve immediately.