These baked potato wedges are so crispy and crunchy on the outside, you won’t believe they aren’t fried! Minimal prep required and air fryer option included!
Baked Potato Wedges
If I had to pick one carby side dish to enjoy with my evening meals, it would be baked potato wedges. While I love potatoes in all shapes and sizes, baked wedges are my favorite.
Even before I became vegan, if I ever saw potato wedges on the menu of a cafe or restaurant, you could bet your bottom dollar that I’d be ordering them. I’m unashamed to admit it, but I’ve been known to make a meal out of potato wedges.
Now, traditional potato wedges are typically deep fried, and while delicious, they contain so many extra calories and extra fat. Luckily, I’ve found the secret to achieving perfectly crispy potato wedges that have been baked- No frying required!
The texture of the wedges is crispy and crunchy on the outside, yet soft and fluffy on the inside. They are salty and smoky, and perfect on their own or jazzed up! I love how healthy they are too.
Not only are these baked wedges completely vegan and gluten free, but they are fabulous for those of you on a whole30 or paleo diet!
How do you make oven baked potato wedges?
- Potatoes– Use a very starchy potato, like Yukon gold or russet varieties.
- Olive oil– Use a good quality olive oil, as the flavor really shines through.
- Smoked paprika– Adds some delicious smoky and subtly sweet flavor.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. Start with a minimal amount of salt, as more can be added post cooking.
- Garlic and onion powder– Adds extra flavor, without needing any actual garlic or onion.
Start by washing your potatoes then drying them thoroughly. Next, slice your potatoes in thick wedges before placing them into a large mixing bowl, before adding the olive oil. Using your hands, rub the olive oil into the potatoes until they are all coated in some oil. Next, add the spices and mix well, until combined.
Now, transfer the seasoned potatoes onto a lined baking sheet and place a preheated oven, and bake at 200C/400F for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once baked, remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best baked potato wedges
- You must pat dry your potatoes completely, as even a tiny bit of water can affect how crispy the potatoes become.
- For extra crispy wedges, broil them at 220C/440F for the final 5 minutes.
- Feel free to add other spices or herbs, like cayenne pepper, oregano, or rosemary.
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Yes! If you own an air fryer, easily make air fryer potato wedges.
Simply place the seasoned and oiled wedges in the air fryer basket and cook at 200C/400F for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. For extra crispy wedges, cook in two batches, to avoid overstuffing.
Storing and freezing potato wedges
- To store: Cooked potato wedges can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover wedges in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either reheat in a non-stick pan or in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 10 minutes.
What to serve potato wedges with
Crispy Baked Potato Wedges
- 2 lbs potatoes chopped into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash your potatoes and pat them dry completely. Chop into wedges and place them into a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and use your hands to rub onto the potatoes. Add the spices and mix well, until well seasoned.
- Place the wedges in a single layer onto the lined sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve immediately.