This vegan ricotta is so thick and creamy, you won’t believe it is dairy free! No cashews and no nuts are needed, it’s ready in under 5 minutes!
Vegan Ricotta Cheese
Since becoming vegan, one of the foods I miss most is cheese. I grew up eating cheese with most of the meals I ate, whether it be at breakfast or on the main course for dinner. I was never picky with the kinds of cheese I ate and I truly loved them all. However, my favorite cheese was ricotta.
Ricotta cheese was something I’d use in both sweet and savory recipes and loved the subtle flavor it provided. I loved it so much, I used to eat it straight from the tub!
Is ricotta cheese vegan?
Like most cheeses, ricotta cheese is not vegan friendly. It is made primarily of dairy, and not suitable for vegans. Luckily, you can easily make your own in minutes!
Now, this vegan ricotta cheese is truly a game changer. It looks, feels, and tastes EXACTLY like traditional ricotta, minus the dairy. Now, this vegan ricotta isn’t like other kinds, as they contain NO cashews. Adding cashews to ricotta makes it overly heavy and calorie dense, and has too strong of a flavor.
This version though uses tofu, but you’d never tell. The texture is thick, slightly smooth, and slightly creamy. It’s salty, tangy, and with a lovely umami flavor- you won’t even tell there is tofu in it! I love how it is naturally packed with protein and is easily customizable. All you need is one blender or food processor and you are done!
This dairy free ricotta is so versatile and delicious, it can be used in place of traditional ricotta cheese in all your favorite savory recipes!
How do you make vegan ricotta?
- Firm tofu– As the tofu will be blended, using firm tofu breaks down without becoming too smooth, replicating the texture of actual ricotta (it makes it super fluffy!).
- Miso paste– White miso paste gives umami and savory flavor.
- Hummus– The secret ingredient! Hummus gives the ricotta an even richer and creamier texture.
- Olive oil– Adds some richness to the overall recipe.
- Lemon juice– Balances out all the salty flavors.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
Add all your ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor. Pulse several times, until the tofu has been broken down. Blend several more times, until a mostly smooth texture remains.
Now, transfer to a container or bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, for the flavors to merge.
Tips to make the best tofu ricotta
- You must use firm or extra firm tofu, not silken or soft. This ensures the perfect consistency.
- If you don’t have olive oil, any neutral flavored oil can be used.
- Taste the ricotta once it has been blended and add extra salt if needed. While miso paste is salty, once blended up the flavor disperses and can often lose some of the saltiness.
Storing and freezing tofu ricotta cheese
- To store: Tofu ricotta should always be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. The ricotta will keep for up to 1 week. Be sure to mix it thoroughly, in case of any separation.
- To freeze: Place the ricotta into a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What so serve vegan ricotta cheese with
Vegan Ricotta Cheese- NO cashews!
- 1 lb firm tofu 450 gram package
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- Add all your ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor and blend until combined and mostly smooth.
- Transfer the tofu ricotta into a large bowl and cover it. Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, for the flavors to combine.