This vegan Spanish rice is a quick, easy, and delicious side dish that comes together in minutes! Pefectly fluffy and tender rice full of flavorful spices, you can add it to burritos, tacos, and more!
If there is one grain that I eat on an almost daily basis, it would be rice. I love my tofu fried rice and nothing beats rice and beans. However, my favorite dish would have to be Spanish rice.
Spanish rice is a delicious and easy side dish, made up of rice, onions, garlic, and tomatoes. It’s full of delicious and bold flavors and comes together in minutes.
What I love about this dish is that it is not only vegan, but is also suitable for a gluten free diet. I grew up eating microwave Spanish rice and now that I’m older, I love how easy it is to make your own..and healthier too!
What goes into Spanish rice?
- Rice– White rice or yellow rice can be used.
- Vegetables– Garlic, onion, and carrot.
- Spices– Salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and cumin.
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato sauce– Tomato passata, not tomato ketchup!
How to make vegan Spanish rice
Step 1– Sautee the vegetable and spices until soft and fragrant.
Step 2– Add the rice, broth, and tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. Reduce everything to a simmer, cover, and let it simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
Step 3– Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
Can I make this in a rice cooker?
If you own a rice cooker, easily make this rice this right in the pot! Simply add all the ingredients into the rice cooker and cook as per the rice cooker directions until the rice is tender and fluffy.
Mexican VS Spanish rice
Mexican rice and Spanish rice have many similarities but the key difference is the flavor and texture. With Mexican rice, it tends to use more chili, saffron, and garlic powder, and also is cooked longer, so has a softer texture.
Spanish rice, on the other hand, is cooked until tender and has a more smokey flavor. It also doesn’t contain any saffron.
What to serve with Spanish rice
Spanish rice works as a fantastic base for various dishes. Add some cauliflower steak on top, pair it with some salt and pepper tofu or pan fried tofu.
How do you store Spanish rice
Leftover rice can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Spanish rice is freezer friendly to place the cooled rice in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan side dish recipes to try
- Pan fried potatoes and onion
- Air fryer carrots
- Pan fried eggplant
- Vegan chicken salad
- Air fryer zucchini chips
Recommended tools to make this dish
- Deep non-stick pan– My go-to non-stick pan that cooks the rice perfectly and fluffy.
- Spatula– Non-stick spatulas to ensure that the pan has no scratching or marks.
- Bowls– Gorgeous bowls to serve this with.
- Rice cooker– Easy and fuss free way of cooking this dish.
Vegan Spanish Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce passata
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and cumin, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for 3 minutes, before adding the stock and passata. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply