This tofu fried rice is a simple and delicious vegan dish that takes minutes to make! Perfect for meal prepping or an easy weeknight dinner, it’s easily customizable!
Tofu fried rice
If there is one main course everyone should be able to whip up, it has to be fried rice. It was a childhood staple and one of the first meals I made when I moved out of the home.
Since going vegan, I’ve had to make a few key changes to my go-to recipe. Not only have I omitted the typical eggs and chicken, but I’ve added a secret ingredient to take this dish up a notch- Adding peanut butter!
No, this is not a peanut butter rice recipe. Instead, we marinate the tofu with a peanut butter flavored sauce and mix it into the rice and veggie mixture, and you are left with the most delicious vegan fried rice with tofu ever!
The beauty of this fried rice is just how customizable it is- Add any of your leftover vegetables or proteins to it, and go crazy on a variety of sauce options available!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
For the rice
- Long grain rice– Jasmine rice and white rice can also both be used.
- Garlic– A must for any good fried rice recipe.
- Spring onion– Adds a light onion flavor and adds some color.
- Carrots– Grated carrots for added vegetables and fiber.
- Peas– What is fried rice without peas? Fresh or frozen peas can be used.
- Sesame oil– A flavorful and rich flavored oil, a small amount goes a long way.
For the spicy tofu
- Firm tofu– You must use firm or extra firm tofu, to ensure it does not break apart when added to the rice.
- Soy sauce– Use gluten free soy sauce or tamari, if needed.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter. Any nut or seed butter can be used.
- Maple syrup– Adds a touch of sweetness and balances out all the salty flavors.
- Sesame oil– To give more sesame flavor, and holds the other flavors to the tofu.
- Hot sauce– Optional, but perfect if you love things spicy!
How do you make tofu fried rice?
Start by slicing your tofu into bite sized pieces. In a mixing bowl, add the spicy tofu ingredients and whisk together, until combined. Add the tofu and mix until the tofu is coated. Place the covered tofu onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 180C/350F for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Now, while the tofu is baking, prepare the rice. Cook the rice as per the packaging instructions. Once cooked, set it aside. In a non-stick pan, add your sesame oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and spring onion and fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the carrots and peas and saute for 2-3 minutes, before add the baked tofu and mix until combined. Add the cooked rice and mix together, until completely combined. Sauteed together for a further 5 minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best vegan fried rice
- If you own an air fryer, you can bake the tofu in that instead of the oven. Air fry the tofu for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Make sure your rice is cooked completely, before mixing it with all the other ingredients.
- Feel free to add extra soy sauce or hot sauce, to taste.
Here are some great ideas for some variations to use up what you have on hand or make some substitutions.
- Protein– Swap out the tofu for chickpeas, edamame, or another plant based protein.
- Veggies– Corn, sweet potato, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- Rice– Use quinoa, couscous, or even orzo.
- Sauce– Add teriyaki sauce or sriracha.
Storing and freezing tofu rice
- To store: Tofu fried rice can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover rice in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave for 45 seconds-1 minute or place in a non-stick pan and fry for 4-5 minutes.
More vegan main course dishes to try
Tofu Fried Rice
For the rice
- 1 package instant rice 250 grams
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 whole green onion sliced
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
For the tofu
- 1 block firm tofu 400 grams, chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp hot sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the tofu sauce ingredients and whisk together, until combined. Add the chopped tofu and mix well, until completely coated in the sauce. Place the tofu onto the lined sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and set aside. Prepare the rice as per the instructions.
- In a non-stick pan, add the seame oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and spring onion, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the carrots and peas and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Add the tofu and mix until combined. Cook for a further 2 minutes, before serving.