These cauliflower steaks are an impressive vegan dish that would have the meat-eaters swooning! Crispy golden-baked slices of cauliflower that take seconds to prepare!
Cauliflower has always been one of my favorite vegetables, even before I started a vegan diet! What I love about it is just how versatile it is. Unfortunately, cauliflower tends to be used as a sidekick, to replace rice, or to be used as a low carb alternative to potatoes.
Today, we are here to show you just how delicious and simple this humble vegetable can be on its own and be a fabulous vegan main dish. These cauliflower steaks are proof of just that. Thick slices of cauliflower seasoned with olive oil, spices and baked to perfection; definitely will be a weekly staple!
Not only is this dish completely vegan and gluten-free, but it is low carb too- Pair it with your favorite salad, grains, or enjoy it over pasta- It’s so versatile!
How do you make roasted cauliflower steaks?
To prepare the steaks, drizzle each one with olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake them for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown on the outside.
How to cut cauliflower steaks
There are a few key tips to cut the perfect cauliflower steak
- Use a very sharp knife. This ensures you cut the cauliflower evenly and smoothly.
- Cut from the center outwards. Cutting from the center of the cauliflower ensures even and thick slices, without the risk of outer florets falling off.
- Include the stems. Did you know cauliflower stems are edible? Include them as part of the steaks and once cooked, they soften and are just as delicious as the florets.
- Air fryer cauliflower steaks– Prepare the steaks as instructed then place them in a single layer in an air fryer basket. Cook them at 200C/400F for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Grilled cauliflower steaks– Heat a barbecue or grill and once hot, grease the plate. Add your steaks and cook for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Pan fried cauliflower steaks– Add 2 tablespoons of oil into a non-stick saucepan. Once hot, add the steak and cook for 6 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 6 minutes. Drain excess oil on a paper towel and serve immediately.
What to serve with cauliflower steaks?
These delicious cauliflower steaks are fantastic as a main dish, so pair them with some salads, sides, or your favorite plant-based protein.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Knife– My go-to knife that slices everything seamlessly.
- Air fryer– If you choose to go the air fryer route for cooking the cauliflower steaks.
- Baking sheet– My go-to baking sheets that cook everything evenly.
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice your cauliflower into 1-inch steaks.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then the seasonings.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and crispy on top.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and serve immediately.