These cauliflower steaks are an impressive vegan dish that would have the meat-eaters swooning! Crispy golden-baked slices of cauliflower that take seconds to prepare!
Cauliflower has always been one of my favorite vegetables, even before I started a vegan diet! What I love about it is just how versatile it is. Unfortunately, cauliflower tends to be used as a sidekick, to replace rice, or to be used as a low carb alternative to potatoes.
Today, we are here to show you just how delicious and simple this humble vegetable can be on its own and be a fabulous vegan main dish. These cauliflower steaks are proof of just that. Thick slices of cauliflower seasoned with olive oil, spices and baked to perfection; definitely will be a weekly staple!
Not only is this dish completely vegan and gluten-free, but it is low carb too- Pair it with your favorite salad, grains, or enjoy it over pasta- It’s so versatile!
How do you make roasted cauliflower steaks?
To prepare the steaks, drizzle each one with olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake them for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown on the outside.
How to cut cauliflower steaks
There are a few key tips to cut the perfect cauliflower steak
- Use a very sharp knife. This ensures you cut the cauliflower evenly and smoothly.
- Cut from the center outwards. Cutting from the center of the cauliflower ensures even and thick slices, without the risk of outer florets falling off.
- Include the stems. Did you know cauliflower stems are edible? Include them as part of the steaks and once cooked, they soften and are just as delicious as the florets.
- Air fryer cauliflower steaks– Prepare the steaks as instructed then place them in a single layer in an air fryer basket. Cook them at 200C/400F for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Grilled cauliflower steaks– Heat a barbecue or grill and once hot, grease the plate. Add your steaks and cook for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Pan fried cauliflower steaks– Add 2 tablespoons of oil into a non-stick saucepan. Once hot, add the steak and cook for 6 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 6 minutes. Drain excess oil on a paper towel and serve immediately.
What to serve with cauliflower steaks?
These delicious cauliflower steaks are fantastic as a main dish, so pair them with some salads, sides, or your favorite plant-based protein.
Some of our favorite sides to serve this with are vegan chicken salad, vegan cobb salad, tofu bacon, and salt and pepper tofu.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Knife– My go-to knife that slices everything seamlessly.
- Air fryer– If you choose to go the air fryer route for cooking the cauliflower steaks.
- Baking sheet– My go-to baking sheets that cook everything evenly.
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice your cauliflower into 1-inch steaks.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then the seasonings.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and crispy on top.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply