This rice and beans recipe is the perfect plant based protein meal that tastes delicious! Filling, satisfying, and SO easy to make, pair it with curries, stews, and more.
Rice is probably our favorite grain. If we aren’t making tofu fried rice, we are making some classic rice and beans.
A typical week will see me whipping up rice and beans at least twice a week. It’s the dish I like to make when I really can’t be bothered spending copious amounts of time in the kitchen and yet want to be keep my stomach happy.
Rice and beans were some of the first dishes I learned to cook when I started a vegan diet and have remained a staple since then.
Why you’ll love this rice and beans recipe
- Quick and easy
- Healthy and filling
- Vegan and gluten free
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Easily customizable
Rice and beans is a staple dish in many countries because it is nutritious, delicious, and very cheap to make. The combination of rice and beans also acts as a complete protein, which is fantastic for those who follow a vegan diet.
What I love about this recipe is how customizable it is and easy to jazz up with plenty of mix-ins!
What goes into this recipe
Here are the key ingredients you’ll need to make this dish.
- Olive oil
- Rice– JasmineJasmine or basmati rice are preferred.
- Spices– Cumin, pepper, smoked paprika, and salt
- Vegetable stock
- Kidney beans– My favorite bean to use for this dish. Black beans and even navy beans can also be used.
How to make rice and beans?
Step 1: Add the olive oil to a pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, Add rice and spices, then the tomato paste.
Step 2: Add the stock and bring everything to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Add the drained beans and simmer for another 5 minutes, until thick and fluffy.
Is beans and rice healthy?
Rice and beans are some of the healthiest and most affordable dishes to make. It’s full of complex carbohydrates, fiber, and most importantly, a complete protein.
What goes well with rice and beans?
We love enjoying this dish with some pan fried vegetables or some plant based protein. Some of our favorites include salt and pepper tofu, pan fried eggplant, pan fried tofu, and pan fried potatoes and onions.
How to store rice and beans
Store leftover rice and beans in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze rice and beans?
Freeze your rice and beans for a quick and easy weeknight meal. Place it in a freezer-friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw it out completely before reheating it.
More vegan main dishes to try
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Non-stick pan– A large non-stick pan to easily cook everything in.
- Wooden spatula– To mix everything together without scratching it.
- Sieve– To drain the beans!
Rice and Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 400 gram cans red kidney beans
- In a pan, add the olive oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Once tender, add the rice and spices and cook for 3 minutes, until rice is heated. Add the tomato paste and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and cook for a further 3 minutes.