This vegan BLT sandwich is a plant based and vegetarian take on the classic sandwich! Made with simple ingredients and ready in minutes!
Vegan BLT Sandwich
Growing up, my favorite sandwich was a BLT. I looked forward to the grocery days where my mom would buy bacon and mayonnaise, as I knew I’d have those to look forward to in the future.
Since cutting meat and dairy out of my diet, bacon has been one of the foods I’ve missed the most. There is something special about the salty, slightly sweet, and crispy texture it has, and how it honestly goes with everything. Luckily, ever since making vegan bacon, I’ve loved to recreate my favorite foods using bacon!
I’ve been meaning to share my go-to vegan BLT for quite some time. As a huge lover of the original BLT, this has been a game changer. It uses simple ingredients and takes minutes to prep. The sandwiches are full of fresh vegetables and crispy vegan bacon. It’s savory and salty, and all balanced out with creamy mayonnaise and burger sauce.
For anyone who thinks a simple sandwich is boring, they clearly haven’t made this BLT- It may use simple ingredients but it’s full of flavor!
How do you make a vegan BLT?
- Bread– Use your favorite sliced bread, like wholewheat or white. Gluten free bread can also be used.
- Vegan bacon– Homemade tofu bacon that tastes just like the real deal!
- Tomato- Thickly sliced and placed between the lettuce and the bacon, to ensure it doesn’t make the sandwich soggy.
- Lettuce– Butter lettuce or romaine.
- Mayonnaise– Vegan or plant based mayonnaise.
- Burger sauce– Optional, but takes this sandwich up a notch!
Start by spreading both sides of the bread with mayonnaise and the burger sauce. Next, layer the bacon, followed by the tomatoes, then the lettuce. Put both sides of the bread together and enjoy as it is, or toast/grill it.
What is the best vegan bacon?
We love using tofu bacon, as it tastes the most similar to bacon and also uses clean ingredients. However, grocery and specialty stores now easily stock vegan meat alternatives, including bacon. Feel free to use that instead, or another mock ham or deli meat.
Does mayo go on a BLT?
Mayo is a key ingredient in a BLT as it gives a little sweetness and tangy flavor. If you want to omit the mayonnaise, try to substitute it with another creamy spread, like vegan cream cheese.
What else can go on a BLT?
While this BLT tastes delicious on its own, here are other ingredients to add to it to take it up a notch!
- Vegetables– Sliced cucumber, bell peppers, and shredded carrots.
- Protein– Marinated tempeh, tofu, or even vegan chicken.
- Fruit– Sliced apples, pears, and pineapple.
- Spreads– Vegan aioli, mustard, and ketchup.
Storing and meal prepping the BLT sandwich
- To store: You store a sandwich for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, in a sealed container or ziplock bag. Be sure the tomato is between the lettuce and the bacon to ensure it does not make either slice of bread soggy.
- To meal prep: Prepare the lettuce, tomato, and vegan bacon and store them in individual containers. You can prepare three sandwiches at a time, for the following three days.
Vegan BLT Sandwich
- 4 slices bread gluten free, if needed
- 8 slices vegan bacon
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce loosely packed
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp burger sauce optional
- Spread mayonnaise on two slices of the bread and burger sauce on the other two.
- Place the vegan bacon on the mayonnaise side of the pieces of bread, followed by the tomato and the lettuce. Top with your other slices of bread and serve immediately.