This vegan vanilla mug cake is a simple and delicious dessert that takes two minutes to make! No eggs and no dairy needed, it can easily be made in the oven or air fryer too!
Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
I recently shared a chocolate mug cake but to be quite honest, my favorite vegan mug cake flavor would be vanilla! Vanilla flavored desserts tend to get a bad wrap for being plain or boring but honestly, they are a classic. There are some days where you just don’t want something chocolate flavored and this mug cake ticks the bill.
This vanilla vegan mug cake recipe takes under two minutes to make and completely satisfies the sweet tooth. It’s the perfectly portioned dessert that is designed specifically for one person- No sharing necessary!
No eggs, no dairy, and no milk needed, but you’d never tell. It’s moist, fluffy, and has a tender crumb. It’s sweet and simple, and you can add your favorite mix-ins into the batter!
Not only is this mug cake vegan, but you can easily make it gluten free, too!
How do you make a vegan vanilla mug cake?
- All purpose flour– Sift your flour very well, to ensure that there are no clumps throughout. Gluten free flour and wholewheat flour can also be used.
- Sugar– I used white sugar, but brown or coconut sugar will also work.
- Baking powder– Gives some rise and fluffiness to the mug cake.
- Oil– Any neutral flavored oil, like canola, vegetable, or coconut.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk.
- Chocolate chips– Optional, but I love adding some vegan chocolate chips to the batter.
In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Next, add the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips until a smooth batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased mug or ceramic cereal bowl. Microwave for 60-90 seconds, or until it has risen and is cooked. Let the mug cake sit for a minute, before serving.
Can I make this in the oven?
If you don’t own a microwave, you can easily bake this vanilla cake in the oven. Pour the batter into a small ramekin and bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Tips to make the best eggless vanilla mug cake
- If you own an air fryer, you can bake the mug cake there instead of the microwave. Pour the batter into an air fryer baking dish and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Do not over-microwave the cake, to ensure it doesn’t dry out. This is a vegan mug cake, so there are no eggs, so you can undercook it slightly.
- Feel free to omit the chocolate chips and replace them with sprinkles for a funfetti mug cake.
Storing and freezing vanilla mug cake
- To store: Cover the mug cake and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Remove the mug cake from the bowl and cover it in parchment paper, before placing it in a ziplock bag. Store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the mug cake for 20 seconds, until warm.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp oil any neutral flavored oil
- 2 tbsp milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and mix until a thick batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Grease a microwave safe bowl or mug. Transfer the batter into it and microwave for 60-90 seconds.
- Remove the mug cake from the microwave and let sit for a minute, before enjoying.