This vegan milkshake is thick, rich, and creamy, and needs just 3 ingredients to make! Ready in just one minute, it’s easily customizable too!
Since going vegan, there have been very few foods I’ve truly missed. I’ve been able to find suitable alternatives and frankly, they taste better than the original. However, there was one treat that I did miss and that was a milkshake or thick shake.
Several times a week, I would make my way to McDonald’s and enjoy a chocolate or vanilla milkshake. As someone with an intense sweet tooth, they satisfied my cravings and gave me a lovely sugar rush. Luckily, I’ve been able to devise a simple and delicious vegan version which tastes just as good!
No dairy is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thick, rich, and perfectly creamy. It’s sweet and full of chocolate and vanilla flavor.
With one base recipe, there are tons of flavor options to try, and no one will know that it is vegan!
How do you make a vegan milkshake?
- Dairy free milk– I used unsweetened oat milk, but soy, almond, or coconut can also be used.
- Vegan ice cream– Any good dairy free vanilla ice cream.
- Chocolate syrup– What is a milkshake without some chocolate syrup? Look for brands without any dairy in them.
- Dairy free whipped cream– Optional, but highly recommended.
Start by adding your milk, ice cream, and syrup into a blender and blend until completely combined. Pour into two glasses and add some whipped cream and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best dairy free milkshake
- Use a good quality ice cream, as that will determine how creamy the milkshake is.
- For a thicker smoothie, use less milk and blend until just combined. This is perfect if you love a good thickshake.
- Feel free to add frozen fruit or flavor extracts.
While this classic milkshake tastes delicious on its own, here are some flavor options for you try out for some variety!
- Vanilla– Omit the chocolate syrup and double the ice cream amount. Add 1/2 seeded vanilla bean pod for a more intense vanilla flavor.
- Oreo– Blend through 2-3 Oreos (naturally vegan!) into the mixture.
- Strawberry– Omit the chocolate syrup. Add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Pumpkin– Add 1/4 cup frozen pumpkin chunks or 1/2 cup pumpkin puree.
- Banana– Add 1 frozen banana and increase the milk of choice by 1/4 cup.
Storing and freezing vegan chocolate milkshake
- To store: Milkshakes are best enjoyed immediately, however, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.
- To freeze: Place the milkshake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, place the frozen milkshake into a blender and blend until smooth.
More vegan drink recipes to try
Vegan Milkshake (6 Flavors!)
- 1 cup milk of choice I used oat milk
- 1/2 cup vegan ice cream
- 2 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup dairy free whipped cream optional
- In a high speed blender, add all your ingredient and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately. If desired, add dairy free whipped cream on top.