These vegan rice crispy treats are ultra gooey and crispy, and need just 3 ingredients! No baking required, they take less than 10 minutes to make!
Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
When it comes to simple and delicious desserts, my favorite recipes to make are oatmeal cookies, chocolate cake, and these vegan rice crispy treats.
Growing up, my mom taught my sister and me to pack our own lunch boxes. The night before school, we’d tidy up after dinner and immediately start putting together our lunch box for the next day. It would always involve a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a granola bar, and a treat. Obviously, the treat part was our favorites, and always be the first thing eaten each day. While I loved the crisps and the chocolate bars, my favorite childhood treat was always the rice crispy treats.
There was something special about having one of them in my lunchbox, and I think it was due to my intense love of marshmallows. Even throughout high school and university career, they were a common theme when it came to the snacking department. As I entered adulthood, I stopped buying the mainstream versions and started making my own!
Are rice crispy treats vegan?
Unfortunately, mainstream rice crispy treats are not vegan friendly. They contain dairy (in the butter used), along with gelatin (in the marshmallows). Luckily, you can easily make your own, and it needs just 3 ingredients!
I’ve been meaning to share a vegan rice crispy treats recipe for quite some time. This is the kind of dessert that even non-vegans will be obsessed with! Most vegan versions of this dessert don’t use actual marshmallows or vegan butter in them, which is fine, but to me, those are NOT true to the classic!
No butter and no gelatin is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is chewy, crispy, and extra gooey. They are sweet and full of vanilla marshmallow flavor, without being overpowering.
I recently went on a vacation with some friends and brought a big batch of these along and NO ONE believed me when I said they were vegan- They thought I’d made the original ones!
How do you make vegan rice krispie treats?
- Rice krispie cereal– Use any crispy rice cereal of choice. I’ve tried these with rice bubbles (popular in Australia and the UK) and also brown rice crisps, and all work very well.
- Vegan marshmallows– The secret ingredient to give these treats their authentic flavor! I used Dandie’s vegan marshmallows (pictured) but feel free to experiment with other vegan brands (like Trader Joe’s).
- Dairy free butter– Try to use a dairy free butter from a block, and NOT from a spread. The latter often has extra water and stabilizers added to it, making it more difficult to melt properly. I used Flora plant based butter.
In a large non-stick pot, add your butter and heat up on low-medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and slowly mix them into the butter, until it begins to melt. Continue to mix well, until the marshmallows have mostly melted.
Next, remove the marshmallow/butter mixture from the heat. Moving quickly, add the rice krispie cereal and mix very well, until mostly coated in the marshmallow mixture. Transfer to a lined 8 x 8-inch square pan and gently press down into it. Let the rice krispie treats cool to room temperature, before slicing into bars.
Tips to make the best rice crispy treats
- Do not press down into the mixture, as it will firm up too much (and become less gooey). Gently press down until mostly in place.
- Dandie’s marshmallows come in both mini and standard sized marshmallows. I recommend using the mini ones, as they are easier to melt more evenly.
- Fold through a handful of the marshmallows at the very end, for the ultimate gooey texture.
Storing and freezing the treats
- To store: Rice crispy treats should be stored at room temperature in a sealed container or ziplock bag. They will keep well for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw them completely to room temperature before enjoying them.
Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cups vegan marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal use gluten free, if needed
- Line a 9 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a deep pot, melt your butter. Once melted, add the marshmallows and mix very well, until it melts down and combines with the butter. Remove from the heat.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and mix until the cereal is mostly coated in the marshmallows.
- Transfer to the lined pan and gently transfer the rice krispies mixture into it. Using your hands, lightly press down onto it. Let it sit at room temperature, before slicing into bars.