This vegan chocolate mug cake is a delicious single serving dessert that takes less than 2 minutes to make! Moist, fluffy, and completely eggless!
Vegan chocolate mug cake
As someone who has a raging sweet tooth, I love to end my dinner with something sweet. In an effort to also try and keep healthy, I’ve been avoiding baking multiple desserts, as I know if they are in my kitchen, they will all be eaten.
Luckily, I have a foolproof solution to my post dinner dessert and it is a simple vegan mug cake. Mug cakes are my life saver, as they are single serving and perfectly portioned desserts.
This vegan chocolate mug cake will become your new favorite dessert. It needs just 6 ingredients and takes less than 2 minutes to make! Moist, fluffy, and full of chocolate flavor, you won’t believe it is eggless!
For those of you who don’t have a microwave, you can easily make it in the oven.
How do you make a vegan chocolate mug cake?
- All purpose flour– Also known as plain flour. Be sure to sift the flour carefully, to ensure there are no clumps.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder. For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Sugar– White sugar, brown sugar, or coconut sugar are all fantastic options.
- Baking powder– Gives the cake some rise and fluffiness.
- Oil of choice– Any neutral flavored oil can be used. I prefer using vegetable or safflower oil.
- Milk of choice– Oat milk, soy milk, or unsweetened almond milk.
- Chocolate chips– optional, but adds extra chocolate flavor.
Start by adding your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add the oil and milk, and whisk until a smooth batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased mug and microwave for 60-90 seconds, until the cake has risen and the chocolate chips have melted. Let the chocolate mug cake sit for a minute, before serving.
Can I make this in the oven?
If you don’t own a microwave, you can easily bake this in the oven. Simply transfer the batter into a greased oven safe ramekin and bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
Tips to make the best eggless chocolate mug cake
- Do not over-cook the mug cake, as it can go from uncooked to dry VERY quickly. Microwave for up to 90 seconds, and continue cooking in 20-second bursts, until it is done.
- Feel free to fold through your favorite nuts, seeds, or candy.
- This mug cake is eggless. For an ultra gooey mug cake, cook for 50 seconds.
Storing and freezing chocolate mug cake
- To store: Leftover vegan mug cake can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked mug cake in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the cake for 30 seconds, until warm and fluffy.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp oil I used vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips optional
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and mix until a thick batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter into a small mug or microwave safe cereal bowl. Microwave for 60-90 seconds, or until mostly cooked.
- Remove from the microwave and let it sit for a minute, before enjoying.