These homemade hash browns are crispy and golden on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside! Made with just 3 ingredients, they are just like those diner style potatoes! Vegan, gluten free, and paleo.
I know I shouldn’t play favorites but when it comes to vegetables, potatoes would be king. They are easily the one food I could eat for the rest of my life and NEVER tire of them.
While I enjoy potatoes in all forms and shapes, my absolute favorite way to enjoy them is in the form of hash browns. There is something special about crispy hash brown potatoes that are great on their own, with a tofu scramble, or even with a vegan roast.
Now, these hash browns are a little different than the standard kind you’d like at McDonald’s or a fast-food restaurant. These are diner style hashbrowns or the kind you’d make from scratch with grated potatoes. The texture is crispy and golden brown on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. They are perfect on their own or served with any savory main dish!
What I love about these hashbrowns is how perfect they are as part of meal prep- Each weekend I cook up a batch of them and have the perfect veggie side dish for all my evening meals! Bonus? These hashbrowns are also gluten free AND paleo!
How do you make vegan hash browns?
- Potatoes– Use waxy and starchy potatoes, as they hold their shape better and crisp up beautifully. Sebago, Yukon gold, and brushed potatoes are all fantastic options.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Oil– Vegetable oil, canola oil, or any other good frying oil can be used.
Start by washing the potatoes, patting them dry, then grate them. Once grated, use a dish towel or cheesecloth or squeeze out any excess liquid. Next, transfer the grated potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper and mix until combined. Form 4-5 balls of shredded potatoes.
Now, add the oil into a large frying pan and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the balls of potatoes and press down to flatten. Fry for 4-5 minutes, before flipping and cooking until golden brown. Serve immediately, or let them cool completely to store them for later.
Can I make this oil free?
If you would like to make this oil free, omit the oil and use a good quality non-stick pan. Cook as you would if you were using oil, however, be very careful when flipping them so they don’t fall apart. Increase the cooking time to 7-8 minutes per side.
Can these be made in the air fryer?
If you own an air fryer, you can bake these hashbrowns.
Place them in the air fryer tray, on a piece of parchment paper. Cook at 200C/400F for 10-12 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best diner style hash browns
- To reduce the cooking time, form 12 small balls instead of 4-5. They will cook in less them and perfect as a side dish or part of breakfast.
- You must squeeze out as much liquid as possible, in order for the hash browns to be extra crispy and crunchy on the outside.
- Feel free to add some extra spices, like smoked paprika, Italian herbs, and even fresh garlic or onion.
Storing and freezing hash browns
- To store: Cover the hash browns and place them in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover hash browns in a shallow container lined with parchment paper. Store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either in a lightly greased non-stick pan, an air fryer, or in a preheated oven.
What to serve hashbrowns with?
Homemade Hash Browns
- 1 lb potatoes russet, Golden Yukon, or brushed
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Wash and dry your potatoes, before grating them. Using a dish cloth or cheese cloth, add the grated potatoes and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- Transfer the grated potatoes into a mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper and mix well. Using your hands, for 6 large or 12 mounds of potato.
- Add the oil into a large frying pan and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the mounds of shredded potato onto it and lightly flatten. Fry for 4-5 minutes, before carefully flipping and cooking until golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.