This tofu sandwich is full of grilled tofu and fresh vegetables, it takes minutes to make! Easily customizable and packed with protein, it’s a delicious and healthy vegan lunch!
When it comes to hearty vegan lunches, my favorite recipes to make are chickpea avocado salad, chicken salad, and this tofu sandwich.
Growing up, I was the kid who had the “weird” sandwich fillings. I say “weird” because compared to everyone’s peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mine was on another planet. Every day, my mom would pack my lunch and my usual sandwich fillings would often be a variety of Persian fried food, stuffed between two pieces of bread.
When my mom started working early mornings, my dad took over lunch duties and he continued the odd sandwich tradition, although with different fillings. One of his favorite fillings was leftover tofu from dinner, with a mix of avocado and hummus. Sounds strange, but it was one of my favorite lunches. Even when I moved out of home, I still, to this day, make the famous tofu sandwich, albeit with a few twists!
I’ve been meaning to share a tofu sandwich recipe for quite some time and it has been one of my favorite lunches to make, and it keeps me satisfied all afternoon. It’s the kind of sandwich that sticks to your ribs, thanks to the fiber and protein. It’s full of textures, thanks to the crispy vegetables and creamy spreads. In terms of flavor, it is salty, smoky, savory, and can easily be customized with your favorite fillings.
Now that my days are pretty packed with a bunch of new projects, I love prepping all the ingredients on the weekend and taking a minute to assemble the sandwich when lunchtime rolls around!
How do you make a tofu sandwich?
- Grilled tofu– Firm tofu that has been grilled with your favorite seasonings. We love using bbq tofu or even tofu bacon.
- Salad ingredients– Use your favorite sandwich fillers. We love using tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado.
- Avocado– What is a sandwich without avocado? I love adding smashed avocado to everything!
- Hummus– Gives creaminess and replaces any need for butter or margarine.
- Bread– Whole wheat, white, sourdough, etc.
Start by spreading hummus on one side of your bread and vegan mayonnaise on the other side. Next, on one slice of bread, layer the grilled tofu, followed by your salad ingredients, before adding salt and pepper, if desired. Place the second slice of bread on top, slice in half, and enjoy.
The best tofu for grilling
The market is full of various kinds of tofu. For this recipe, we used a pre-marinated tofu (satay flavor) which is perfect when your short of time. If you grill your own tofu, use extra firm or firm tofu. Avoid using soft or generic tofu, otherwise, it will break apart once it hits the pan or grill.
Tips to make the best grilled tofu sandwich
- This is a very simple and easy sandwich. If you’d like to jazz it up, feel free to add some vegan cheese, pesto, or even some vegan mayonnaise.
- If you want to use another plant-based protein, swap out the tofu for smoked tempeh or mock meat.
- This might go against the grain but I don’t recommend toasting the sandwich- Invest in a good quality loaf of bread and you won’t need to, the fillings are the star ingredients!
Storing and prepping the sandwich
- To store: Pre-made sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days, provided you use minimal salad (e.g. lettuce and tomato only).
- To meal prep: Keep all portions of the sandwich separate and refrigerated until ready to assemble. The grilled tofu will keep for up to 1 week (and tastes delicious cold).
- 4 slices bread
- 1/4 cup avocado mashed
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 8 oz grilled tofu * See notes
- 1/2 large tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce
- Spread half the slices of bread with the avocado and the other half with hummus.
- Layer hummus side of the bread with grilled tofu, sliced tomato, and lettuce, before placing the avocado spread bread on top.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and serve.
Leave a Reply