This vegan avocado toast is a brunch classic staple that can easily be made at home! Ready in just 5 minutes, it’s perfect for a quick and easy breakfast that tastes a little bit fancy.
Vegan Avocado Toast
When it comes to staple vegan breakfasts, my favorite recipes to make are overnight oats, breakfast cookies, and this avocado toast.
Growing up in Melbourne, it’s safe to say the breakfast and brunch scene has been rapidly evolving. When I was younger, going out for lunch or dinner was way more popular than the morning meal. Back then, the breakfast offerings usually involved eggs, muesli, and not much else.
These days, Melbourne has built an international reputation for being the best place in the world for breakfast and brunch. On a weekly basis, new establishments are popping up, and there are always new and exciting foods to try. While there are a plethora of options available, nothing beats the classics. While I love a good smoothie bowl or English muffin, nothing will ever beat the classic avocado toast.
There is something special about the simplicity of avocado toast. The combination of crusty bread topped liberally with a creamy avocado spread, it truly is a taste and texture lovers dream. Now, many people claim to make the best avocado toast. After having this breakfast staple at almost every possible location, I’ve devised my own version which, quite frankly, is the best.
I’ve been meaning to share a simple and delicious vegan avocado toast recipe for quite some time. Being from Melbourne, we KNOW what a good avocado toast should entail, and it is super simple. No mixed in cheeses, cream, or nuts or seeds, lemon juice, nada. Just simple spices and the star ingredient, the avocado. The texture of the spread is smooth, creamy, and buttery, all complemented by the crunchy toast.
I had some friends over for brunch the other day and I made a bunch of breakfast foods, but everyone’s favorite was the avocado toast- It’s just too good!
How do you make avocado toast?
- Avocado– Ripe and soft avocados are a must!
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Sundried tomatoes– The secret ingredient! Sundried tomatoes give the avocado the added saltiness and tang, without needing any lemon or lime juice.
- Garlic and onion powder– Gives a more umami flavor, without being overpowering.
- Smoked paprika– Optional, but gives a slight smokey flavor.
- Toast of choice– The best bread for avocado toast is anything crunchy and dense. Sourdough, ciabatta, and Cobb loaves are all fantastic options.
Start by mashing your avocado until mostly smooth. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined. Toast your bread of choice and generously spread your avocado on top.
Tips to make the best avocado toast
- Be sure your avocado is ripe and soft. If it is too firm, the avocado mixture will be thick and full of chunks.
- For a smoother texture, you can use a blender or food processor.
Avocado toast toppings
While I love it in its original state, here are some ideas for what to put on avocado toast!
- Balsamic and feta– Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of vegan feta.
- Red pepper flakes– For the spice lover! Add some red pepper flakes and for added spice, a splash of hot sauce.
- Protein– For a high protein avocado toast, add some scrambled tofu or tofu bacon.
- Dukkah– Add a Middle Eastern twist and sprinkle some dukkah over the top.
- Hummus– For the ultimate comfort food, spread a layer of hummus before adding the avocado spread.
Storing and freezing the avocado spread
- To store: Leftover avocado spread can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 days. Any longer, and it will begin to brown and be inedible.
- To freeze: Place the avocado in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and remove excess water before spreading on your toast.
Vegan Avocado Toast
- 2 large avocados overripe
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 4 slices bread any crusty bread
- In a mixing bowl, add your avocado and mash until smooth. Add the rest of your ingredients and mix until combined.
- Toast your four slices of bread. Distribute the avocado spread amongst the four pieces of toast and serve immediately.