These peanut butter cheerio bars are an easy and delicious 3 ingredient snack that requires no baking! Ready in 5 minutes, they are easily customizable and easily made gluten free!
Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
It’s no secret that I’m quite the snacker. I’m not the kind of person who can have three square meals a day and always need to reach for a snack to keep me going between meals. Usually, I reach for a protein shake or a granola bar but recently, I’ve been making a batch of peanut butter cheerio bars.
These peanut butter cheerio bars are a healthy and satisfying snack made with just 3 ingredients. There is no baking required, so it literally takes 5 minutes to prep and the hard part is waiting for them to firm up.
No butter and no oil are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crispy, crunchy, and slightly gooey in between. They are plesantly sweet and full of peanut butter flavor, without being overpowering.
With a constant busy schedule, I love throwing a couple of these in my workbag and having one between lunch and dinner- They also make a fabulous pre workout snack!
How do you make 3 ingredient peanut butter cheerio bars?
- Cheerios– Cheerios is best, but any dry cereal can be used. If you want these bars to be gluten free, be sure to use gluten free cheerios.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter, with no added sugar.
- Maple syrup– Adds sweetness and helps hold the bars together. If you don’t follow a vegan diet, honey can also be used.
Start by adding the cheerios into a large mixing bowl. In a microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter and maple syrup and microwave until warm. Whisk it very well, until smooth and combined. Next, pour the melted peanut butter and syrup into the cheerios and mix very well, until combined.
Now, transfer the cheerio bar mixture into a lined 8 x 8-inch pan and press the mixture firmly into it. Place the bars in the refrigerator for at least an hour, to firm up.
Can I substitute the peanut butter?
If you’d like to replace the peanut butter with something else, you can use almond butter, cashew butter, or keep it nut free by using tahini or sunflower seed butter.
Like the peanut butter, be sure that it is smooth and drippy in texture.
Tips to make the best no bake peanut butter cheerio bars
- If your mixture is a little too thick, add extra cheerios. This will ensure the bars remain thick and not gooey.
- Feel free to add some vegan chocolate chips or melt some chocolate over the top.
- When slicing the bars, use a slightly wet knife to cut into them easily.
Storing and freezing cheerio bars
- To store: Cheerio bars should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the cheerio bars in a ziplock bag or shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan snack recipes to try
Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
- 3 cups cheerios
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cereal. In a microwave safe bowl, combine your peanut butter and maple syrup, and microwave until warm. Whisk together until combined.
- Add the peanut butter/syrup mixture into the cereal and mix very well, until all the cereal has been fully coated. Transfer the mixture into the lined pan and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour, to firm up.
- Using a sharp knife, slice into bars.