This vegan puppy chow is a simple and delicious dessert or snack that needs just 4 ingredients to make! Also known as muddy buddies, there is no baking required, it’s perfect to feed a crowd and takes seconds to make!
Vegan Puppy Chow
When it comes to vegan party food and desserts to impress, one of my favorite things to make is puppy chow. Also known as muddy buddies, it’s a sweet and crispy snack that is made with cereal covered in chocolate and tossed through powdered sugar.
I first tried puppy chow when I attended a tailgating party while traveling America. I soon noticed it was THE ultimate party snack food that is so easy to prepare.
Is puppy chow vegan?
Traditional puppy chow tends to use milk chocolate and butter, which are not vegan friendly. Furthermore, several kinds of Chex cereal aren’t dairy free, as they contain milk solids. Luckily, with a few changes, you can easily make your own vegan version!
This vegan puppy chow is your quick and easy dessert that needs just 4 ingredients to make and takes seconds to prep. The texture is crispy, crunchy, and with a hint of powdered sugar throughout. It’s sweet and full of chocolate and peanut butter flavor, without being overpowering.
Whenever I have friends over for a party or I attend an event, I always whip up a batch of puppy chow and it’s always the first thing that disappears from the food table!
How do you make vegan puppy chow?
- Chex cereal– Chex cereal works best, but if you can’t find any in your local supermarket, you can use any large, crispy cereal.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter.
- Chocolate– Either vegan chocolate chips or a vegan chocolate bar. I used a chopped up vegan chocolate.
- Powdered sugar– To coat everything with!
Start by adding all your Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl. Next, melt your peanut butter with chocolate until smooth. Whisk very well together, until combined. Pour the peanut butter/chocolate mixture over the cereal and mix well, until all the cereal has been coated in it. Sprinkle half the powdered sugar over the top and gently mix it into it all.
Now, transfer the puppy chow into a baking dish or flat surface so there is time for the chocolate to firm up. Once firm, add extra powdered sugar until all the cereal has been coated in it.
Tips to make the best vegan muddy buddies
- You must let your chocolate and peanut butter mixture firm up on the cereal before adding more powdered sugar. If parts of it are still melted, you’ll find the powdered sugar clump up and have difficulty sticking.
- If you don’t like or are allergic to peanut butter, you can replace it with almond butter or tahini.
- For a richer flavor, use dark chocolate with over 80% cocoa content.
Storing and freezing puppy chow
- To store: Puppy chow can be stored at room temperature, covered. It will keep well for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the puppy chow in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Vegan Puppy Chow
- 6 cups Chex cereal or any crispy cereal of choice
- 1 cup vegan chocolate melted
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Add your cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt your chocolate in a microwave or stovetop. Whisk in the peanut butter until smooth. Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix very well, until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a lined baking dish. Add the powdered sugar over it, and mix until the cereal is mostly covered. Gently mix it, before allowing the chocolate to cool completely.
- Transfer into a large mixing bowl and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply