These vegan protein bars are a soft, chewy, and delicious snack that are much better than store bought! No baking required, they take less than 10 minutes! 10 grams plant based protein per serving.
Homemade vegan protein bars
Ever since I started weight lifting, I realized the importance of fuelling myself in between meals. I tend to be a three meals a day kind of guy, and never really snacked in between. This soon changed when my recovery time between workouts was pretty significant. I started buying protein bars and while many of them did taste delicious, they were costing me over $4 a bar! Luckily, I’ve been able to stop wasting my money on expensive protein bars and making my own!
I’ve been meaning to share a vegan protein bar recipe for quite some time. It’s been my go-to snack between meals and uses simple and affordable ingredients. No oil and no wheat is needed, but you’d never tell. In terms of texture, they are thick, chewy, and soften at room temperature. They are sweet and full of peanut butter flavor, without being overpowering.
I’ve been loving prepping a batch of these each week and always having them on hand. You have no excuses not to make your own, AND you know exactly what goes in them!
How do you make vegan protein bars?
- Oat flour– Oat flour is simply blended up rolled oats into a powder-like consistency. While this is available in many grocery stores, you can easily make your own.
- Protein powder– Use your favorite vegan protein powder. I prefer using a vanilla flavored one, but unflavored can also be used.
- Salt– Just a pinch to bring out the sweetness of all the other ingredients.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter, with no added sugar. You can also use smooth almond butter or cashew butter.
- Maple syrup– Gives the protein bars some natural sweetness, and helps hold the bars together. You can also use agave nectar or honey (not for strict vegans).
- Unsweetened almond milk– I used vanilla almond milk, but any plant based milk can be used.
Start by mixing together your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Next, add your peanut butter and maple syrup in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until the peanut butter has melted. Whisk into the maple syrup until smooth. Add the peanut butter/maple syrup mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, until a crumbly texture remains. Add your unsweetened almond milk and mix well, until a thick batter remains.
Now, transfer your protein bar mixture into a lined 8 x 8-inch pan and smoothen it out into it. Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, to firm up. Once firm, cut into bars.
Tips to make the best vegan protein bars
- Be sure to use a plant based protein powder that you like the flavor of, as the flavor can be quite evident.
- As protein powder brands differ, you may need to add more milk than recommended in order for the batter to be thick and smooth. Keep adding more as needed.
- For nut free protein bars, replace the peanut butter with either sunflower seed butter or tahini.
While these protein bars taste delicious on their own, change up their flavors for some variety!
- Peanut butter cup– Once your protein bars have firmed up, dip them in melted chocolate until completely covered. Let them chill until the chocolate firms up.
- Chocolate chip– Fold through 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips into the dough.
- Double chocolate– Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Increase the plant milk by 1/4 cup.
- Cinnamon roll– Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon and drizzle the bars with a simple glaze (1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon almond milk, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon).
- Birthday cake– Use vanilla protein powder and add 1/4 cup vegan sprinkles.
Storing and freezing protein bars
- To store: Homemade protein bars should be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. They will keep well for up to one month.
- To freeze: Place the bars in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Vegan Protein Bars
- 1 3/4 cups oat flour gluten free, if needed
- 1/2 cup vegan protein powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter smooth and creamy * See notes
- 1/3 cup maple syrup can use agave nectar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk ** See notes
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredients until combined. In a microwave safe bowl, add your peanut butter and maple syrup and microwave for a minute, until warm and melted. Whisk together, until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter/syrup mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, until thick and crumbly. Add the almond milk and mix until combined and a thick dough remains. If it is too thick, add extra milk as needed.
- Transfer your dough into the lined pan and press down and flatten out. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, to firm up. Once firm, slice into 12 bars.