These air fryer French fries are a healthier and homemade way to enjoy potatoes! Perfectly crispy and low in fat!
If you are looking for a healthy take on some savory snacks or looking for a kid friendly side dish to serve with pan fried tofu, these air fryer french fries will be your new go-to!
It’s no secret that we love using our air fryer for a plethora of dishes. You can literally transform even the most basic of veggies out there, and some of our favorites include eggplant, carrots, and zucchini.
How to make air fryer french fries
Start by slicing the potatoes into matchsticks. As we want these fries to be extra crispy, chop them in 1/8-inch slices. Don’t worry about peeling the potatoes prior, as the skin helps them crisp up better and hold onto any flavorings and seasonings. Also, cutting the potatoes into even pieces will ensure they cook evenly and at the same time.
Now, soak the potatoes in cold water. Soaking the potatoes in cold water releases and removes excess potato statch. This in turn will ensure the french fries don’t stick to each other and also become extra crispy once cooked.
Next, pat the potatoes completely dry. Use a paper towel or dishtowel to pat dry all the potatoes, ensuring there is no excess moisture on them.
Now, season and mix well. Place the fries in a mixing bowl then add your olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley powder. Using your hands, mix very well, to ensure all the seasonings are covering the fries.
Finally, air fry the homemade french fries. Place the seasoned fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook at 200C/400F for 20 minutes, shaking several times throughout. Repeat the process until all the fries are cooked.
Tips to make the best air fryer french fries
- Cut the potatoes into equal sized pieces. This helps cook them evenly and at the same time.
- Work in batches. Do not crowd the air fryer basket or you risk some potatoes remaining uncooked while others are almost burnt!
- Turn up the heat. Every air fryer model differs. While for some it may take 20 minutes to cook, others may need a little longer. Once your fries are golden brown on the outside and fluffy in the middle, they are done.
- Re-season as needed. You can always add more salt and pepper to the fried post-cooked.
How to store air fried French fries
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze air fryer french fries
Freeze leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
What to serve with homemade french fries
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Air fryer– The most affordable and easy to use air fryer that yields perfectly crispy food every single time.
- Tongs– Non-stick tongs to ensure you don’t scrape the metallic air fryer basket.
- Dish towels– To pat dry the potatoes.
- Knife– A good knife is always a must.
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 large potatoes washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- Slice your potatoes into match sticks and place them in a bowl of cold water to reduce the starch.
- Remove the water and pat dry completely. Place them in a mixing bowl and add the olive oil and seasonings and mix until combined.
- Place the fries in an air fryer basket and air fry at 200C/400F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve immediately.