Learn which vegan mince is the best in Australia, both in terms of taste and price. See what varieties are available and whether Coles or Woolworths has the best available!
Australian Vegan Ground Beef Review
Australia is fortunate that they now have a plethora of vegan ground beef and mince alternatives to choose from. A quick scan of any major supermarket will provide you with several options, which are on par with traditional ground meat.
What is vegan mince made of?
Depending on which brand of vegan ground beef you use, the ingredients are quite different. Most use soy protein or other blends, and some actually use vegetables, like mushrooms.
The downside of vegan ground beef is that the protein and fat content can vary from brand to brand. While most contained a generally fantastic amount of protein (20 grams per serving), some contain just as much, or even more fat. Keep an eye on the calorie count to ensure it is suitable for your diet and lifestyle.
What is the best plant based mince?
We’ve tried a bunch of plant based mince and included a review of every plant based mince available in Australia.
Woolworths Vegan Mince
- Naturali– A newer plant based mince on the market, Naturali is now easily accessible at most Woolworths supermarkets. Taste wise, it has a slightly gritty texture but would work well for bolognese sauces or in a casserole.
- V2 plant based meat– V2 has a range of plant based meat. Their mince may not look the best, but it fries up well and can be flavored in a plethora of ways.
- Fable– A well known brand of plant based meat, goes a slightly different route with braised beef made from shiitake mushrooms. It’s perfect for a texan BBQ which is exactly what they’re going for.
- Funky fields– A stock standard mince that is well priced and fries up well. They also hold their shape when made as burgers.
- Made with plants– Not only makers of vegan cheese, made with plants mince is turning out to be quite the front runner. It cooks and tastes like actual ground beef, and doesn’t have any artificial or plastic flavor.
Price-wise, V2 and Made with Plants are the most affordable and often go on sale. While Fable’s braised beef is delicious, it can be a little dearer depending upon which supermarket you go to.
Coles Vegan Mince
- Bird’s Eye– A classic Australian brand jumping on the plant based bandwagon. They have recently introduced a vegan mince (found in the frozen aisle) and they hit the mark with the new target market. The mince cooks up nicely and acts like a blank canvas that can be flavored like traditional ground beef.
- Beyond meat– Perhaps the most famous and well known ground beef alternative. Beyond meat is quite dissapointing in flavor and texture, and as one of the most expensive brands, it’s best to be avoided.
Aldi Vegan Mince
- Earth Grown meatless mince– Cooks easily and looks very similar to traditional ground beef.
At $3.49 per package, it’s one of the most affordable plant-based ground beef alternatives.
What is the best vegan mince?
Out of all the flavors we tried, V2 plant based mince ticked the boxes both in flavor and texture. We can see ourselves using it just like you would with standard ground beef, like hamburgers, sauces, and lasagna. Price-wise, it was one of the most affordable and similar in contrast to actual ground beef.
Watch a full review below!
Leave a Reply