Learn which vegan cheese is the best in Australia, both in terms of taste and price. See what varieties are available and where to purchase them from!
Australian Vegan Cheese Review
With the supermarkets now flooded with lots of vegan cheese options, which one is the best?
Over the past three years, there has been a greater demand for plant based cheese. Gone are the days where only one option is available, and now there are at least several options to choose from. Not only that, but more and more brands and companies are developing different varieties of cheese, including feta, spreadable cheeses, and smoked varieties.
What is vegan cheese made of?
If you check out the packaging of any vegan cheese, you’ll notice that there is barely, if any, protein whatsoever. This is the opposite of any dairy based cheese, which would have equal if not more protein than fat.
Vegan cheeses are typically made with coconut oil and fillers, which hold it all together. Flavors and spices are added, and once the cheese is at room temperature, the coconut oil hardens making it a block or sliceable.
Here is a review of all the brands available of vegan cheese in Australia and what options they have available. Also included is a price comparison.
My life Bio
A brand that has been around for quite a while, My Life Bio is a classic dairy free brand in Australia. It is one of the very first vegan cheese options offered and can be easily available in any supermarket.
Price-wise, they are the most affordable and often are on sale in both Coles and Woolworths.
- Blocks– They come in original and cheddar flavor. For those of you who prefer your cheese sliced, they come pre-sliced.
- Shredded cheese– Cheddar, parmesan, and pizza flavored.
- Specialty– Haloumi and feta cheese alternatives.
A newer brand on the dairy free scene, Sheese have a greater range of more alternative kinds of cheeses, like spreads and feta cheese. They are popping up at select Woolworth supermarkets.
Price-wise, they are one of the more affordable brands that have a similar price to dairy based cheeses.
- Blocks– Cheddar style and jalapeno and chilli cheddar come in blocks, but they also come pre-sliced. They also have a red Leicester style in the slices.
- Shredded cheese– Mature cheddar, hard Italian style (parmesan), and mozzarella style.
- Specialty– Feta cheese and several flavored cream cheese spreads, including garlic and herb and red pepper.
Made with plants
Popular for their ready-made meals and deli meats, Made With Plants have now started a cheese range too.
Price-wise, they are slightly more expensive than the other brands but their flavor is great and their shredded cheeses melt quite nicely.
- Blocks– Cheddar slices and blocks.
- Shredded cheese– Parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella.
Found in specialty supermarkets, Green Vie has quite an impressive range. They do several popular cheeses, including smoked gouda and blue cheese. While work can still be done in terms of taste, it’s great to see more options available.
Price-wise, they are on the more expensive end of the spectrum. They also can be quite hard to find and aren’t in any mainstream supermarkets.
- Slices and blocks– Gouda, cheddar, mozzarella, smoked gouda, pizza, and Mediterranean.
- Shredded– Parmesan.
- Specialty– Haloumi, Greek style (feta), vintage cheddar, blue cheese, and several wheel varieties.
Australian made and owned, Damona have several cheese varieties, including more unique ones like bocconcini.
Price-wise, they are similar to that of any good quality and unique flavored cheese.
- Blocks– Extra tasty, fresh mozzarella, American cheddar.
- Specialty– Almond feta, bocconcini, brie, and flavored block cheeses.
Vegan Cheese Woolworths
Woolworths is the best option for vegan cheese options. They have a range of all the brands mentioned above, and also are working on an exclusive plant based range launching soon.
Vegan Cheese Coles
Nature’s kitchen is a plant based range that is exclusive to Coles supermarkets. They do also have a cheddar cheese option that comes in a block. They also have shredded cheese and a cream cheese alternative.
In terms of price, they are one of the most affordable kinds of vegan cheese.
Which is the best vegan cheese in Australia?
As one of the most affordable and easily accessible, My Life Bio continues to be the best in terms of price and taste. While no vegan cheese will taste exactly like actual dairy-based cheese, this brand comes very close and is actually a good alternative to it.
Leave a Reply