This vegan banana bread is moist, fluffy and with a tender crumb, you won’t believe how easy it is to make! Made with simple ingredients and minimal prep, it’s a recipe you’ll make over and over again!
Vegan Banana Bread
Growing up, we’d always have bananas in our fruit baskets. Along with apples and oranges, they were a year round staple. Whenever my sister and I would complain about being hungry, mom would direct us to the fruit basket. Now, we never really touched the bananas, because once they became a little too ripe, mom would use it to whip up a loaf of banana bread!
Everyone needs a good banana bread recipe in their arsenal. There will always be a time where you’ll find some overripe bananas on your kitchen counter which will be begging to be transformed into a loaf. Everyone claims to have the best recipe out there but not to toot my own horn, but this one is a game changer!
I’ve been meaning to share a vegan banana bread recipe for quite some time. It’s so simple to prepare and uses cheap and affordable ingredients. In fact, you’d probably find all of them in your pantry right now!
No eggs and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is super moist, soft, and with a tender crumb. It’s sweet and full of banana flavor, perfect with a cup of coffee or tea!
This is truly the best vegan banana bread, even my non-vegan friends are BEGGING me to make it time and time again!
How do you make a vegan banana bread?
- All purpose flour– White flour and wholewheat flour can be used.
- Baking soda– Gives the bread some rise and leavening.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of all the other ingredients.
- Bananas– Overripe bananas will yield sweeter bread than just ripe or firm ones.
- Vegan butter– Try to use vegan butter from a block, for the best texture. Margarine can be used if you can’t find any.
- Brown sugar– Adds sweetness and gives the bread a darker and richer color. You can also use white sugar or coconut sugar.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any plant based milk can be used,
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but highly recommended.
Start by adding your flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl and mix well. Next, in a separate bowl, combine the bananas, brown sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract, and whisk until combined and glossy. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Now, transfer into a lined loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan completely.
Can I use frozen bananas?
While fresh bananas are best, you can use frozen bananas provided you thaw them completely first. Once thawed, mash them separately before whisking in the wet ingredients.
Tips to make the best banana bread
- Do not overbake the bread, as it will continue to cook as it is cooling down.
- The riper the bananas you use are, the sweeter the bread will be.
- Do not omit the butter for something else. We tried using applesauce and vegan yogurt and the texture was too gummy for our liking.
- Feel free to add some chocolate chips or mixed berries to the batter, for some flavor variation.
Storing and freezing banana bread
- To store: If you intend to consume the banana bread within 5 days, it can be stored at room temperature, in a sealed container. To keep it longer, store it in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- To freeze: Places slices of the bread in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Loaf Pan– My favorite baking dish to bake this banana bread.
- Mixing bowl– Versatile, easy, and a quick clean-up.
- Dish towels– To pat dry the potatoes.
- Knife– A good knife is always a must.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar white or coconut can be used
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line and grease a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, sugar, melted butter, and milk, until combined. Gently fold through the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool completely, before removing from the pan and slicing up.